Day Fifty Two.
I never thought I would see such a drastic change in my son just by changing his eating habits. I knew that eating healthy has it’s benefits, but I would have never guessed I would get these results so quickly. This update on my sons health makes me tear up with happiness. All those nights spent worrying if my son was growing, why was he hurting, does he have some major illness, etc…all gone, just a memory and a memory that seems like it was years ago, not just a few months.
If you are just joining my blog let me fill you in on our journey. My three year old son suffered several “symptoms” that I could not let pass by anymore and I had to get answers.
- He never had a normal bowel movement, it was always diarrhea and frequently would have whole undigested food in it.
- Horrible, horrible foul smell from BM’s.
- Was very irritable.
- He wet the bed.
- Would wake up several times throughout the night whether it be a bad dream, tummy ache or just restlessness. At 3 years old he still had only “slept through the night” maybe 3 times. Sleep stretches would be no more than 3 hours at a time.
- Nail biting.
- Poor weight gain, which eventually started to get to weight loss (this is when we took him to medical doctors).
- Poor growth, short stature, although this was less concerning being that both my husband and myself are shorter.
- Extremely picky eater. Poor appetite.
It might not seem like a lot to you, but for me as a mom I just knew something was not right. We went through several different tests which all came back clear for any major problems. Whew. All we discovered was that he had high fat content in his stools and had trouble with nutrient absorption. Our GI Specialists suggested taking him off gluten to see how he responded.
We not only took him off gluten but we proceeded with a 60 day detox of all GMO’s. I started seeing results almost immediately. His attitude seemed different. He was a happy kid again, as the weeks go by things keep improving.
- His bowel movements look normal. No more diarrhea. Food is processed and it smells SO much better.
- He was happy. Still whines like your normal child, but nothing like before.
- No more bed wetting! Bye-bye pull ups!
- Sleeps 12+ hours a night. Seriously, amazing.
- Still bites his nails, but I think it has to do more with just being nervous. It did stop for awhile, but that has returned.
- February 2nd weighed in at 31 lbs. June 2nd weighed in at 35.5 lbs!
- February 2nd he was still wearing 24 month clothing. June 2nd he now fits 4T perfectly!
- “Better” eater, still picky, but he does not gag on food anymore.
I cannot say enough about our new lifestyle and how much it literally has changed our life. Whenever we slip out of our diet due to a vacation or pure laziness I can tell the difference. It is really weird how quickly your body responds to poor eating habits. You start craving sweets and fats more, you get irritable, it’s a beast. The opposite happens if you increase healthy foods and good fats. Your mood lightens, your are happy, you feel energized and sweets are a thing of the past (haha, yeah right!).
I know I have been lacking on posting, Summer has been super busy. I know you understand, right? Our littlest started walking, she is such a monkey and always into trouble. The other two are just as busy as ever, parties to attend, vacations, swim lessons, etc… I really do want to be posting more and cooking more but life has taken over. I will get back into a regular routine very soon. All Summer vacations are over at this point. We just have one more major event… My Husband and Brother-in-law have been working tirelessly on creating an iPhone app and I have been writing for them as well. I will be announcing their app Thursday, it goes public Friday, and I couldn’t be more excited for them!